[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue May 18 17:42:04 UTC 2010

On 5/18/2010 12:21 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> The (possible) motive of a more or less remote chance of resuscitation
> need not really enter the frame when the instructions of the deceased
> - as from a legal point of view he*is*  deceased for good - are in
> discussion...

Good point. If, say, you want your body to be cut into small cubes,
seasoned with herbs, and dispersed around the world, because it's your
whim or Gaia wants it done that way, I suppose the court should support
your ambitions, as long as it's sanitary and you've provided sufficient
funds for it.

Which makes me wonder how this works when for decades you have paid an
insurance company for the specific purpose of having Alcor freeze your
head, then that is prevented (your body is lost at sea, or your head
crushed by a trip hammer, or your dearly beloved relatives have your
remains buried)--is the company no longer obliged to pay anyone
anything, or does the loot go to the estate, or to Alcor's coffers, or
what?

Damien Broderick