[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue May 18 17:21:19 UTC 2010

On 17 May 2010 22:46, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> ...On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
>> Subject: Re: [ExI] Cryonics is getting weird
>>
>> I'd go with BillK on this: no refund, no exhumation,
>> certainly no cryo on decomposed remains. It's (so to speak) a
>> no brainer.
>>
>> Damien Broderick
>
> Do pardon my overposting today, for there is much interesting discussion
> currently.
>
> Thanks Damien, extra points for the wordplay.  But do let us explore this
> highly relevant thought space with the most extreme thoroughness.  You
> offered an opinion, but not so much a line of reasoning.  I agree, the
> freezing of an empty skull is not a good thing from a PR standpoint.

OTOH, just to play the devil's advocate, what if it had been
incineration, rather than cryo suspension?

As in "some like ending in fire, other in ice".

Legally speaking, the easiest way to deal with cryonics is to consider
it i) euthanasia, if administered on a living body ii) in any event,
as last will concerning one's corpse after one's death.

The (possible) motive of a more or less remote chance of resuscitation
need not really enter the frame when the instructions of the deceased
- as from a legal point of view he *is* deceased for good - are in
discussion...

--
Stefano Vaj