[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Tue May 18 19:27:56 UTC 2010

The Avantguardian wrote:
> [...]
False.  They paid you for a chance at future life.  Not to freeze
whatever remnant of fresh even if it is utterly hopeless to be any more
than a symbolic act.
> The customer knew that cryonics is an imperfect science and it has inherent risks associated with it. There is no guarantee of revival even in an ideally performed preservation.
Sure, but there is at least the possibility.  A year after dead with no
preservation there is none whatsoever.  So I do not believe this is a
convincing argument.

>  With that knowledge, the man nonetheless wrote into his will that cryopreservation is what he wanted to be done to his remains.

It is not about what is done with "remains" but about the possibility of
preserving enough fast enough for possible further life.  It is not
about disposal of truly dead.  It may look like that in current legal
terms but that was not the intend of the person in signing up and I
think we all know this.

>  It would be no different if someone had contracted with Alcor to be cremated and have his ashes scattered over Red Light District of Amsterdam.

It is quite different.

- samantha