[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 18 20:39:10 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of David Lubkin...
>
> Spike wrote:
> >
> >What if the foot is amputated for being an unbeliever, and
> the infidel
> >lives.  Then what do they do with the infidel's foot?  Make
> a foot stool?
>
> I have a friend who is a VP of an investment house by day and
> Orthodox rabbi by night who is receptive to odd questions. I
> could ask him what they do with severed or surgically removed
> body parts of those still living. Lemme know if you have any
> other odd questions, so I can ask them together...

Thanks David, I don't need to know what they do with the severed hands and
feet, but I can imagine a market for them as study models for medical
students.  On the other hand, the market might motivate the believers to
amputate more often.  I don't know how the law works in those lands, but
perhaps the hands and feet could be sold to the infidel so that she could
attempt to have the severed appendage surgically re-attached.

> While we're talking about cryonics and religion: I have made
> the argument for years that for any religion that views
> medical care as appropriate, life as sacred, and suicide a
> sin (virtually all of them), it is incumbent on any good
> religionist to be signed up for cryonics.
> So far only atheists have agreed with me... -- David.

With Religion Incorporated, the main point is not the ethics, but rather
that the true believers hand over their cash to Religion Incorporated.  Or
perhaps I am just a bit cynical.  I have tried the cryonics angle on various
fundamental believers, but the whole notion does not sell well.  The
underlying principle is that if you have enough money to do cryonics, you
should hand it over to Religion Incorporated to save more souls.