[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 18 20:47:08 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Dave Sill
>
> You presume it's utterly pointless without actually examining
> the brain. You also ignore other possible benefits of this
> action, such as discouraging other families from blocking
> cryopreservation, that make it less than pointless.
>
> -Dave

Thanks Dave, I actually think that point may be the strongest reason for the
dig, no refund option.  I assume Mr. Richardson is gone for good, but he may
have saved many with his tragic end.  Alcor is in a hell of a spot, but by
doing quad 4, they may have saved many in the long run.

I added your notion to the reasoning matrix below:

> 	Quad 1) refund, no dig
> 	Quad 2) no refund, no dig
> 	Quad 3) refund, dig
> 	Quad 4) no refund, dig.

Scoreboard:

Quad 1) 	0.75: spike's 2nd, Brent's 3rd

Quad 2)	4.25: BillK(?), spike's 3rd, Damien, Samantha, David Lubkin's 2nd,
Max's 2nd

Quad 3)	1.0:  Tim Halterman's 2nd, Brent's 2nd

Quad 4)	15.0: Alcor, Mirco, Dave Sill, spike, Shelly Jones, Holly Gray, Tim
Halterman, Jeff Davis, Stefano(?), David Lubkin, Brent Allsop, Adrian,
Avantguardian, Keith Henson, Max More.

> 	Quad 1) refund, no dig
> 	Quad 2) no refund, no dig
> 	Quad 3) refund, dig
> 	Quad 4) no refund, dig

Reasoning:

Quad 1, for:  	best for Alcor PR.  Helps the siblings of the deceased?
ref: Brent Allsop 3rd(?)

Quad 1, against:  motivates relatives to burn or bury you. ref: spike, Brent

Quad 2, for:   	better PR for Alcor than quad 4.  ref: BillK, Damien,
Samantha.

Quad 2, against:	bad PR for Alcor, breaks legally binding contract,
opens Alcor to liability.  Ref: Jeff Davis(?)

Quad 3, for:	Helps the siblings of the deceased?  Brent Allsop 2nd(?).

Quad 3, against:	Alcor goes broke, risks the currently suspended.
Might motivate the siblings to burn or bury.  Ref: spike, Brent.

Quad 4, for:	Alcor carries out what it agreed to do, so it is morally
obligated to dig.  Alcor may be legally required to dig by contractual
agreement.   Western society honors dying wishes, even if unreasonable
(ethical argument.)  Establishes legal roadmap for future cases.  Dig, no
refund discourages other families from blocking cryopreservation plans.
refs:  Alcor, Mirco, Dave Sill, spike, Holly Gray, Tim Halterman, Jeff
Davis, Stefano(?), David Lubkin, Brent Allsop, Avantguardian Stuart LaForge,
Keith Henson, Max.

Quad 4, against:	bad PR for Alcor, hopeless for the patient, silly,
gross, punitive for Alcor volunteers, etc.  refs:  Damien, BillK(?),
Samantha