[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed May 19 01:36:13 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Harvey Newstrom
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Cryonics is getting weird
>
> I vote Quad 4) no refund, dig
> And in case anybody is getting any ideas....  My Alcor
> contract instructs them to preserve as much of me or as
> little of me that is available, no matter how soon or how
> delayed it may be... Harvey Newstrom

Thanks Harvey.  I think we are seeing a clear consensus here.  I interpreted
the score as much as I could to favor any alternative other than the one I
chose, quad 4, yet that course of action still won with a clear 16 points
(at least), quad 2 with 4.5 at most, and the other two quadrants, no one
could really come up with a vaguely compelling argument, unless one is as
charitable and nice as Brent Allsop (I'm not.)

Here is an interesting experiment.  Keith or someone here who hangs out on
cryonet please, did they have a discussion about this too?  Would anyone be
willing to pose this map to that group?  It would be my speculation that the
game would end up with a score similar to ours, with quad 4 beating quad 2
by about a 4 to 1 margin, and the other two quads down in the noise.
Suggest using the protocol of 1 point for first choice, half a point for
second choice, quarter for third, nada for last place.  I didn't award any
half points to quad 4 even tho several non-4ers made comments to the effect
that 4 would be their second choice.  So I was giving that choice (4) every
disadvantage I could think of.  In this game, Alcor only gets one point,
even though clearly they deserve more than that.

Another idea, since the Alcor leadership likely suffered some sleepless
nights over this, would it bother anyone to forward this final scoreboard to
them?  Should we remove the names?  Samantha, BillK, Damien, do you care if
Alcor sees contrary opinions?  Would it improve morale there to know we
understand it was a tough choice, we didn't see a clearly better alternative
to what they did, and we are not going to take their picture down off the
piano?

Final score:

> 	Quad 1) refund, no dig
> 	Quad 2) no refund, no dig
> 	Quad 3) refund, dig
> 	Quad 4) no refund, dig.

Scoreboard:

Quad 1) 	0.5: spike's 3rd, Brent's 3rd

Quad 2)	4.5: BillK(?), spike's 2nd, Damien, Samantha, David Lubkin's 2nd,
Max's 2nd

Quad 3)	1.0:  Tim Halterman's 2nd, Brent's 2nd

Quad 4)	16.0: Alcor, Mirco, Dave Sill, spike, Shelly Jones, Holly Gray, Tim
Halterman, Jeff Davis, Stefano(?), David Lubkin, Brent Allsop, Adrian,
Avantguardian, Keith Henson, Max More, Harvey.

> 	Quad 1) refund, no dig
> 	Quad 2) no refund, no dig
> 	Quad 3) refund, dig
> 	Quad 4) no refund, dig

Reasoning:

Quad 1, for:  	best for Alcor PR.  Helps the siblings of the deceased?
ref: Brent Allsop 3rd(?)

Quad 1, against:  motivates relatives to burn or bury you. ref: spike, Brent

Quad 2, for:   	better PR for Alcor than quad 4.  ref: BillK, Damien,
Samantha.

Quad 2, against:	bad PR for Alcor, breaks legally binding contract,
opens Alcor to liability.  Ref: Jeff Davis(?)

Quad 3, for:	Helps the siblings of the deceased?  Brent Allsop 2nd(?).

Quad 3, against:	Alcor goes broke, risks the currently suspended.
Might motivate the siblings to burn or bury.  Ref: spike, Brent.

Quad 4, for:	Alcor carries out what it agreed to do, so it is morally
obligated to dig.  Alcor may be legally required to dig by contractual
agreement.   Western society honors dying wishes, even if unreasonable
(ethical argument.)  Establishes legal roadmap for future cases.  Dig, no
refund option discourages other families from blocking cryopreservation
plans.  refs:  Alcor, Mirco, Dave Sill, spike, Holly Gray, Tim Halterman,
Jeff Davis, Stefano(?), David Lubkin, Brent Allsop, Avantguardian Stuart
LaForge, Keith Henson, Max, Harvey Newstrom.

Quad 4, against:	bad PR for Alcor, hopeless for the patient, silly,
gross, punitive for Alcor volunteers, etc.  refs:  Damien, BillK(?),
Samantha