[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed May 19 18:06:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 5/19/2010 12:17 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
>
>> The contract usually signed with
>> Alcor (such as mine) doesn't say many specifics about future life but
>> very specifically describes what is to be done if my brain is
>> considered to be non-recoverably destroyed.
>
> And what is that? And considered by whom, on what basis? (If this is not too
> intrusive and personal a question, since you imply that it can change from
> one contract to another.)

### IIRC, I signed up to be frozen no matter what is the condition of
the brain but did not opt for freezing non-neural tissue for possible
cloning. One of the reasons I chose this option is to avoid the moral
hazard inherent in setting a limit on the need for freezing - I don't
want Alcor or others to give up too quickly. Also, the Richardson
scenario passed my mind too, and I don't want anybody to hope that
delaying suspension would prevent it - thus any rational agent who is
against my suspension but knows delaying tactics won't work will not
try them in the first place (I don't hope to influence the irrational
ones).

Rafal