[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed May 19 22:57:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> After all the yakkity yak and bla bla, our own Dr. Smigrodzki comes up with
> a novel twist, which I feel should be added to the reasoning matrix nearly
> verbatim.  We had already that quad 4 (and 2) demotivates those who would
> prevent suspension for profit motives, but Rafal's notion is that quad 4
> (and possibly 3) would demotivate those who oppose suspension for
> non-monetary (possibly religious) reasons, who may try to intentionally
> delay suspension long enough to get Alcor to give up.

That was my point in one of the first articles in the thread:

  I think they're primarily making the point that you can't block them
  from doing their thing simply by delaying the process.

And then again later:

  You also ignore other possible benefits of this action, such as
  discouraging other families from blocking cryopreservation, that make
  it less than pointless.

I didn't say anything about it being profit-motivated, and I think
it's much more likely that people would try to block it because they
find it icky or incompatible with their religious beliefs.

-Dave