[ExI] missing matter found, maybe

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu May 20 15:59:27 UTC 2010

[This is a fairly coarse-grained journalistic report, but maybe
interesting anyway...]

<http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/3451/large-chunk-missing-universe-found>

Large chunk of missing universe found
Wednesday, 19 May 2010

by Meghan Miner
Cosmos Online

Scientists using two X-ray telescopes have found evidence for the
'missing matter' in the nearby universe. This matter is made up of hot
diffuse gas, which is known as WHIM (warm-hot intergalactic medium). To
get this result, researchers analyzed X-ray light from a distant quasar
that passed through a 'wall' of galaxies about 400 million light-years away.

SYDNEY: A large chunk of missing matter - theorised but never before
measured - has been discovered as a vast smear of extremely hot
intergalactic gas 400 million light-years away.

In order for the predominant theories about the formation and evolution
of the universe to hold true, a certain amount of matter should be
present; but large amounts of it have long remained elusive.

Now an international team of astronomers have found most of the missing
matter, pinpointing its location using two different X-ray telescopes.

Clues to how galaxies formed

"We didn't just find a 'lost & found' item in the cosmic baryon budget,"
said Taotao Fang of the University of California at Irvine and lead
author of the paper in The Astrophysical Journal, "our findings provide
important clues to the question of how galaxies formed and evolved.

"The missing matter we found are the leftovers from the early galaxy
formation process," said Fang

The missing matter has long been hypothesised, and some of it has even
been spotted before; but previous observations did not uncover the full
extent of this massive gas cloud.

Higher temperatures

"What [previous studies] found is the missing matter at lower
temperatures ... about 10-20% of the total missing matter," said Fang.
"What we found are missing matter at higher temperatures and account for
the majority 80 to 90% of the missing matter."

By using two X-ray telescopes, instead of one visible light telescope as
in previous studies, the exact location of the missing matter could be
calculated and the results were more robust.

The X-ray telescopes that captured the images identifying the location
of the missing matter are housed on NASA's Chandra and the European
Space Agency's XMM-Newton - which has a command centre in Perth,
Australia. Both orbital observatories that have been in space since 1999.

High-energy waves

X-ray telescopes detect different aspects and temperatures of light than
visible light telescopes. "Just like when we use our eyes or an X-ray
machine to look at a person, we see different 'aspects' of this person,"
said Fang.

By using X-ray telescopes scientists are able to observe radiation
produced by different physical processes, such as high-energy waves
emitted from particles that have extremely high temperatures like
explosive forces, large gravity forces and magnetic fields.

In this case, astronomers looked for high frequency waves around a
supermassive black hole, which - because of the size and pull on the
area around it - generates huge amounts of X-ray energy.

Sculptor Wall

In the same line-of-sight as this black hole is a structure called the
Sculptor Wall, which stretches tens of millions of light-years across,
and is home to thousands of galaxies and a large portion of the newly
found matter.

The matter, which is different from dark matter, is in a form known as
'Warm-Hot-Intergalactic-Medium' (WHIM), a diffuse gas 'reservoir' with
an extremely low density- about six protons per cubic metre- a possible
explanation as to why it evaded earlier detection.

In comparison, the interstellar medium between stars in our own galaxy
has about a million hydrogen atoms per cubic metre.

Composed of baryons?

The missing matter is likely composed of baryons, particles such as
protons and electrons that are found through out our Solar System and on
Earth. The baryons are leftover from galaxy formation processes and were
then enriched by materials ejected from galaxies later.

These findings confirm the current theory about the formation and
evolution of the universe and will help in further modelling of these
processes in greater detail.

A very cool result

"This is a very cool result," says Geraint Lewis an astronomer at the
University of Sydney, "but when I say cool, I mean exceedingly hot, like
the temperature of these gasses.

"It's nice to see someone make a prediction and to find that the stuff
is actually there ... we need to have a census of all the matter in the
universe," he added.

According to astronomers' estimates, more matter is still missing, and
to find it, suggests Fang, we'll need to develop new technology - a
telescope with higher photon sensitivity.