[ExI] Cryonics and reanimation/simulation

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Fri May 21 01:52:39 UTC 2010

John Grigg wrote:

>Yes, I mean repairing the frozen brain (and body, if also
>cryopreserved).  A nano-constructed replica from a scan just does not
>qualify. lol
>
>I view a perfect (or at least near-perfect) copy of me by scanning and
>simulation as the ultimate in twin brothers, but not actually me.
>It's the whole "self-circuit/continuity" thing.

It recalls the story of the axe. First the handle was replaced, then
the head, but it retains continuity as the axe.

Is there a point in the extent of repairs needed that you'd consider
John-2 to be a different person, in the sense that the perfect copy
is?

*I* don't want to be frozen and brought back. I want to be
continually, unambiguously alive from now until I don't want to be.
We all agree, right? Cryonics is a much worse alternative; it's just
better than information theoretic death.

For revival -- I tend to be a cautious and skeptical adopter of new
tech. My inclination is to come back in a meat body first and then
hear about the alternatives, rather than going straight to upload or
non-meat. I sure don't want to start in an upload and then find out
it's running on Windows 2055.

-- David.