[ExI] Cryonics and reanimation/simulation

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri May 21 02:19:46 UTC 2010

On 5/20/2010 8:52 PM, David Lubkin wrote:

>> I view a perfect (or at least near-perfect) copy of me by scanning and
>> simulation as the ultimate in twin brothers, but not actually me.
>> It's the whole "self-circuit/continuity" thing.
>
> It recalls the story of the axe. First the handle was replaced, then
> the head, but it retains continuity as the axe.
>
> Is there a point in the extent of repairs needed that you'd consider
> John-2 to be a different person, in the sense that the perfect copy
> is?

It doesn't really recall that story. It recalls a story in which a very
worn axe head and splintery handle were replaced in one foul (rather
than fell) swoop by a gleaming new axe head and handle using the
original specs. Terrific for anyone wanting a sturdy new axe, not so
much fun for the original axe. Luckily axes haven't got a clue.

Damien Broderick