[ExI] Mainstreamed transhumanism

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue May 25 14:24:06 UTC 2010

C-Span2 just aired a program from yesterday, which I assume will re-air
eventually or be available off their web site. It will definitely be on the
host's web site. The ostensible topic is "The Military & Robotic
Technology"; the host is the New America Foundation; site is the
Army & Navy Club in DC.

<http://www.newamerica.net/events/2010/warring_futures_a_future_tense_event>

I only caught the last session, most of which was pretty routine.
I watched not for new tech info but to hear how they characterized them.

What perked my ears is when someone on the panel brought up what
he called transhumanism, by which he meant simple pharm
enhancements (nootropics, reduced sleep requirements, etc.). He
noted that while the eugenics movement required government action,
individuals will augment when it is personally useful. It will require
government action to stop them. And if that augmentation is useful,
it will continue whatever government tries to do.

Then a member of the audience riffed (fairly accurately) on Kurzweil's
version (which he correctly noted predates Ray) of the inevitable and
soon "suicide of the human race" by creating its successors. He gave
a little speech and then the panel moved on. Except for using the
word 'suicide', he was pretty tempered in his opposition.

And the session was closed by David Plotz, from Slate Magazine,
declaring, "The singularity is not near. It's here. We're done."

-- David.