[ExI] Gene Patents: Good or Bad?

AlgaeNymph algaenymph at gmail.com
Tue May 25 15:48:35 UTC 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10150685.stm

"I hope very much these patents won't be accepted because they would
bring genetic engineering under the control of the J Craig Venter
Institute (JCVI). They would have a monopoly on a whole range of
techniques." -- Professor John Sulston

I'd have a quote from the other side but...there wasn't any.  It did
mention the main argument, "that it's important to have strong
intellectual property and that it's essential for promoting innovation."

So, gene patents: help or hindrance?  Furthermore, how will they affect
DIY Bio and academic research?