[ExI] Transhumanism, PsyWar and B.E.P.’s “Imma Be”

Aleksei Riikonen aleksei at iki.fi
Wed May 26 14:44:45 UTC 2010

2010/5/26 AlgaeNymph <algaenymph at gmail.com>:
> Aleksei Riikonen wrote:
>
>> I for one welcome our conspiracy theorist "friends", and hope Alex
>> Jones would again demonize us one of these days.
>
> As do I.  *Right wing* conspiracy theorists don't worry me, I know they'll
> be disregarded.  It's the people from my figurative and literal neighborhood
> (I live in San Francisco...) that worry me.

Left wing conspiracy theorists have even less political power than the
right wing, so you should worry about them even less.

> Much of the rhetoric is about "evil elites," the sort of thing we've
> never given a good answer too beyond "it'll get cheaper
> eventually" and "it'll trickle down eventually." (Emphasis mine.)

There is no knock-down argument against the possibility of "evil
elites" using advanced technology very destructively before others get
their hands on it. Considering history (and other things), it would be
very weird and unusual if it wasn't an elite of some sort that first
got access to new technologies. What we have an opportunity to
influence is whether it's a "good elite" (who democratize the benefits
swiftly) or an "evil" one.

So you should strive to be among the people who get to decide how
these technologies are first used, and try to be "good" instead of
"evil". If your leftist friends don't understand the argument that
they should also do this, and help "us transhumanists, the good guys
(though not all transhumanists are good guys)", well, they're only
increasing the probability that an evil entity will steamroll over
them (and us).

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei