[ExI] Cybernetics expert infects himself

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri May 28 01:24:01 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 5/27/10, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
You know how long it would take for a smart sociopath to visit and shoot everyone equipped with hackable implants?  Much easier to broadcast a virus digitally.
If mass murder is the goal:
A) Why limit it to those targets?
B) There are far faster and more efficient methods.
I agree this might be baseless fear-mongering.  However, as devices become more featured it is important to prevent failure modes that could be avoided by implementing security.  If the first four computers that made up the earliest network had been less trusting of each other, we would have a much more secure Internet today.
Nein.  We would not have an Internet today - at least not in nearly as wide use.
The openness was a prerequisite to fast widespread adoption.

In short, the only way you're going to be uploading or

downloading a computer virus with an implant, is if said

implant is explicitly designed to do so.  Medical devices of

the type he's warning about don't fall into that category.

Given the option of hackable med implant and 1024-bit cryptographically secure med implant for only $20 more, which would you choose?

The only way you're going to be uploading or downloading a
computer virus with an implant, is if said implant is explicitly
designed to do so.  1024-bit cryptography doesn't enter into
it.  The hardware interface does, and it's more expensive
to make something with enough power to do that kind of
interface.