[ExI] Gene Patents: Good or Bad?

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Fri May 28 22:35:17 UTC 2010

Sondre Bjellås wrote:
> You ask if company X should be allowed to protect their invention in
> any possible way: Yes they should! Everyone should try to protect
> their core business ideas and implementations. Nobody has the right to
> corporate or private information. Trade secrets is an essential part
> of many businesses today.
>
> Other than that, we agree on most points. Trade secrets and
> copyright/trademark laws are more than enough to protect the software
> space. The heart of the discussion is patents on genes, which I would
> say is somewhat similar to patent on elements (gold, silver, titanium).

I would agree if it is a patent on a naturally occurring genetic
component.  Then there is no new invention, as Rafal points out.  But if
it is a reasonably innovative modification through genetic engineering
(and not just a mod to achieve patentability) then I don't see offhand
why it shouldn't be as valid a candidate for protection as any other
invention.

> The economy in Norway is scary, it's too good. It makes it hard to
> export Norwegian goods and services. Norway was (I think) the first
> country to raise it's interests rates, as we have a problem with to
> many people investing money into real-estate which doesn't really do
> good for anyone economy. Few companies have had to cut down on
> employees and even less has closed down. Some companies have used the
> "crisis" as a mechanism for laying off unwanted employees, which is
> really, really hard in this country due to regulations and laws that
> protect the employee.

Yeah.  Given the little I know of Norwegian policies and tax structure I
was a bit surprised by its economic strength.

> Other than that, it's a great country to live in if you like to take
> things easy and don't worry to much. Before we found oil, you wouldn't
> want to have lived here. We're close to 4.8 million that lives here
> now and we have the worst railroad and road system in whole of Europe ;-)
I though that Norway's oil fields peaked some time ago.

- samantha