[ExI] DARPA funded 100 year starship program

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 2 16:09:09 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of BillK

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM, John Grigg  wrote:
>> Well, at least DARPA seems capable of longterm thinking...

<http://www.kurzweilai.net/nasa-ames-worden-reveals-darpa-funded-hundred-yea
r-starship-program?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter>

>More information is now available.
Apparently DARPA are NOT planning to build a starship. The commentators got
a bit over-excited.

><http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=15147>

During this discussion we saw the "suicide astronaut" concept, where the
experts were saying a Mars mission would be a no-return.  If you look thru
the ExI archives from the 90s, that concept is all over the place in there.
In about 1989 thru 1992, I did the calculations on that a hundred different
ways, and every time it points to the same conclusion: if we land humans on
the surface of Mars, even one human, in any kind of meaningful mission, it
is a one-way trip.

Many weights engineers in 80s and 90s concluded likewise.  Nothing has
changed.