[ExI] Could youse guys help me find a Scientific American cartoon?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 23:53:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Jeff Davis  wrote:
> I'm trying to find a cartoon that appeared in Scientific American
> about ten years ago.  I thought it was in the Sept 2001 issue, but I
> have a copy of that issue, and I can't find it there.  I tried
> contacting SciAm, but they don't respond.
>
> The cartoon depicts a stairway proceeding from lower left to upper
> right  It is the evolutionary stairway.  Three "individuals" are
> climbing the stairs:  a lemur-like critter lower left, then a hairy,
> knuckle-dragging proto-human cave man, and finally in the upper right
> a "modern" human.  The caption has the lemur saying to the cave man,
> "I wondered when he'd notice there were more steps."  Suggesting of
> course that evolution is not through with the human "line",
> fundamental thinking for list members.
>
> I want to enlarge that cartoon and make a T-shirt out of it.  Person
> who finds it for me gets a free T-shirt.

Good news & bad news.

I've found the cartoon, but it's copyrighted.

Book:
Radical Evolution
The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What
It Means to Be Human
By    Joel Garreau

Quote:
Joel Garreau: At the beginning of "Radical Evolution," there is a New
Yorker cartoon I bought the rights to. It shows a staircase. on the
first step is a little monkey. on the next, a bigger one, on the next,
a cro magnon, and on the next, a guy in a suit. the caption has the
cro-magnon saying to the suit:
"i was wondering when you'd notice there's lots more steps."