[ExI] The atoms red herring. =|

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 18 17:15:03 UTC 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 7:54 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Find a post where I ever did express any such special claim about atoms.

I repeat my previous question, if its not atoms and its not the information on how those atoms are arranged then what exactly does the Original have that the copy does not? If you're too embarrassed to answer that question just say so and I'll stop asking.

>> If the cat remembers being me then it worked, if not then it hasn't.
>
>  Who cares about the cat?

You would. You would care about the cat tomorrow if it remembered being you of today, and you care about the Alan Grimes of today because it remembers being the Alan Grimes of yesterday.

> I only care about me.

Me? According to you, "me" is not atoms, "me" is not information, "me" is not thoughts, and "me" is not memory; so what is "me"? I (whatever that means) think its time for you (whatever that means) to stop going on and on about what your theory of identity is not based on and say what it IS based on.

>>> "I want you, right now, to try to mind-swap yourself into your cat, or your computer or anything else you might find more suitable. I presume the experiment will fail. So why did it?"
>
>> Insufficient hardware.
>
> Really?

Yes really.

> So adding two extra transistors to your computer will magically transform it into an enchanted talisman that will allow you to choose your point of view when there is nothing else in the universe that suggests that the idea even makes sense?

No really.

 John K Clark