[ExI] The atoms red herring. =|

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 23:27:08 UTC 2010

2010/11/18 Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net>:

> So what? Who cares about the cat? I only care about me. The hidden magic
> of uploading is that for it to be useful to the subject, the subject
> must poses the supernatural power of being able to choose his point of
> view. =P

This position assumes that there is a subject over and above the
matter contained in your brain or the information that matter
represents. It would entail an entity that flits from body to body,
determining that this one is you and that one is not (artificial
destructive copying no, natural destructive copying yes). There is no
evidence that such an entity exists and it is doubtful that the
concept is even coherent. The reductionist view explains all
observation and all experience simply and consistently.

--
Stathis Papaioannou