[ExI] The atoms red herring. =|

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 20 04:57:56 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Subject: Re: [ExI] The atoms red herring. =|

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> The proposals I've seen, especially from Spike, indicate that all of
> base reality will be paved over like a wallmart parking lot, cuz
> everything will be either a star or computronium. Because of that,
> uploading will effectively be a one-way trip. =(

Ja in a sense, I see how it could be considered a one-way trip in the same
sense that conversion of a wilderness area to a city is a one-way trip.  We
really have not the option of converting San Francisco back into a wildlife
preserve.  It's too late for that.  So its conversion in the past couple
hundred years from nearly a wilderness into a metropolitan megacity is a one
way trip.

I don't know the answer to those who want to stay in a carbon based
existence.  If it is physically possible to upload into a super-compact form
(no guarantee that it is possible) I don't really see it as practical to
stay in carbon, unless the uploads specifically decide to make that so.