[ExI] The atoms red herring. =|

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 20 07:36:40 UTC 2010

spike wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> The proposals I've seen, especially from Spike, indicate that all of
>> base reality will be paved over like a wallmart parking lot, cuz
>> everything will be either a star or computronium. Because of that,
>> uploading will effectively be a one-way trip. =(

> Ja in a sense, I see how it could be considered a one-way trip in the same
> sense that conversion of a wilderness area to a city is a one-way trip.  We
> really have not the option of converting San Francisco back into a wildlife
> preserve.  It's too late for that.  So its conversion in the past couple
> hundred years from nearly a wilderness into a metropolitan megacity is a one
> way trip.

> I don't know the answer to those who want to stay in a carbon based
> existence.  If it is physically possible to upload into a super-compact form
> (no guarantee that it is possible) I don't really see it as practical to
> stay in carbon, unless the uploads specifically decide to make that so.

Why do you care whether I weigh twelve grams or twelve tons? Really,
what difference does it make to you? Why are you obsessed with
compactness? Why would anyone be? Crowding sucks anyway.

Furthermore, practicality is my business, not yours. I will specify what
is practical, and what is not based on nothing other than personal fiat.
I do not request or require you to do a single damn thing for me. I
don't want a single red cent out of you. Seriously, you need to
re-examine your thinking. What does the concept of practicality have to
do with SOMEONE ELSE'S choices?

I don't rule any uploads, and I will be damned before I listen to
anything the uploads have to say. I have my own dreams, plans and
ambitions that have nothing whatsoever to do with them. If the feeling
were mutual, I wouldn't be writing this post. Why do you feel entitled
to all of my atoms? Why won't the uploaders allow me to own the things I
own right now?

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.