[ExI] Hard Takeoff

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 14:36:13 UTC 2010

On 21 November 2010 23:50, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
>> What's wrong with brute force? The lack of chess "qualia"? ;-)
>
> I didn't say (or mean to imply) anything was wrong with it at all.  Just that learning from  one game to another would  require more than brute force.

My question need not be understood as a reply to your post, but has a
broader scope.

In fact, many appear to think that if "intelligent" behaviour is
exhibited by a system based on some other principle than an emulation
of animal-brain working it would be a "trick", or it would be be
"really" intelligent, whatever this may mean.

As to the applicability of that system to different sets of problems,
I maintain that this is a feature exhibited by *any* universal
computational device, from Turing machines to i286 PC to cellular
automata.

--
Stefano Vaj