[ExI] Satirical News Sites (Was Nulla contro lo Onion)

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Nov 29 22:33:41 UTC 2010

. On Behalf Of Darren Greer
Subject: Re: [ExI] Satirical News Sites (Was Nulla contro lo Onion)

BillK wrote:

>>That's the problem with satire today. The world has gone so crazy that
Onion articles get quoted as real news stories and satire becomes
impossible.<

>Just so. What is real news often seems like satire.It plays ingeniously on
all the prevalent fears and manages to combine the concerns of the hard left
with the paranoia of the hard right so seamlessly that you no longer know
which side is which.Darren

Darren, do rent Michael Moore's rookie card, Roger and Me, which hit the
theatres in 1989. Moore was unknown at that time;  I went just to have
something to do.  I found it to be absolutely brilliant satire.  One could
tell it was very dark political comedy, but it was impossible for me to tell
which side (left or right) was being savaged.  I came away with a vague
suspicion that his target was the far left, but later learned he was
attempting to vilify capitalism, which one might suppose is more aligned
with the right.

He did a short sequel called Pets or Meat, which was even darker and funnier
if one is in the mood.  Moore's stuff is an acquired taste.  I think his
entire act is a put-on: he is really a crazy far-right satirist who poses as
a crazy far-left satirist for the purposes of demonstrating that once you
get far enough from the mainstream the two are indistinguishable.