[ExI] Fwd: [technocalypse] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: (unknown)

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 14 21:06:29 UTC 2010

[[ Emphasis added]]

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:59:22 -0600
Subject: [technocalypse] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: (unknown)

Uploading has been presented as a brain-scanning process, outputting a
brainscan file that can be loaded into a brain emulator program running
on a computer.  The emulator is connected to a virtual world program
which emulates familiar surroundings well enough that the emulated brain
can orient itself.  The virtual world could provide "root" privileges on
the host machine, on the other hand it could be nothing more than an
addictive video game or a hell simulator, at the discretion of whoever
starts the emulator/virtual world programs.

There are implications, for instance, with the proper privileges you
can make unlimited (potentially edited) copies of a brain.  Thus the
upload system has no real need for fresh uploadees.

It is something of a metaphysical question as to what exactly is in
common between the original brain and its emulation.  Some people
believe that you are killed when your brain is destructively scanned
and that the emulated brain is nothing more than software that claims
to be you.  Others believe in full consciousness transfer.

Your hypothetical scenario does not address what happens to the 99.99%
of humanity who continue to lead mundane lives while all this is
occurring.

#######################
 I suggest that all that will remain of them after a few
decades will be some software running on a computer in a forgotten corner
somewhere.  I admit that they will think themselves wondrously happy.
#######################

----
Doug

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 05:47:39PM -0700, Thomson Comer wrote:
<snip>
> There seems to be a common disagreement about the nature of uploading.
> Many people see it as some form of closed system, wherein the uploaded
> are given a perfect copy of their current hardware and are then
> transplanted into a virtual space identical to their current world, or
> near-equivalent.
>

> Consider this theoretical future as an exploration of the singularity:
<snip>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/RCsqlB/TM

3X M at CH!N@ 1!B3R7 at 5
http://www.transtopia.org/

M at YB3 W3\'R3 ON @NO7H3R P1 at N37...
M at YB3 W3\'R3 @11 !N5 at N3...
--73H 7W!1!6H7 2ON3, 3P!5OD3 79 (D3C. 22, 1961)