[ExI] Fwd: Re: [technocalypse] Re: Water Ice Jupiter Brains

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 14 21:14:39 UTC 2010

Emphasis added, once again.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jake Hamilton <jake.redfive at gmail.com>
technocalypse-owner at yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:02:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [technocalypse] Re: Water Ice Jupiter Brains

How could blind evolution create a protetin that a postsingularity computer
system couldn't? The formulation and simulation testing of all possible
proteins built from all possible building blocks folded in all possible ways
would be trivial, given the hundreds of trillions of avabits available in
just a fraction of one solar matrix's computational resources.

As far as a monument to our origins goes, why need it be in the "real"
world? A computer system could model every detail, down to a Planck length
in the nanometers, and build a "monument" in another, computational reality.
A biosphere in a normal universe is a vast expanse of dumb matter just *
asking* any of uncountably finite hordes of intelligences of every stripe,
power, and moral/ethical code (or lack thereof) to convert it into smart
matter to meet an ever-voracious need for more computational cycles. Not to
mention, evolving life would eventually spawn a sapient species, and then
you're just back in the exponential cascade model of singularity formation,
and 10,000 or so years after origin of primary sapient species you add yet
another little inflationary explosion of postorganic intelligence to the
roster. Not to mention that a "monument" in digital reality can be backed
up, saved, copied, and iterated in different paths and timelines
simultaneously to come up with more comprehensive/interesting/manipulatable
and deletion/corruption-safe versions.

You assume that normal, more-or-less orthohuman (or orthobiological,
whatever) people will continue to exist indefinitely beyond the singularity.
While possible, I don't think it's very likely. Eventually, the only
possibility for the most reactionary of reactionaries who only exist in
Reality 1.0 to keep existing that way is in the equivalent of a zoo - which
is basically what you're proposing. But even that wouldn't last long - if
posthuman intelligences want to keep relatively normal, pre-transcendence
intelligences around to be study subjects and playtoys, eventually they're
going to bore of the idea of keeping them in some enormously wasteful

###################################
material playground - why not just upload them into an identical environment
without "telling" them, and keep doing the same research, entertainment, and
playtime from there, freeing up resources to build more pocket universes in
the process?

Either your idea is a zoo run by the uploaded posthumans, whose demise I've
described, or a nature preserve, which eventually just becomes part of the
singularity-catalyzed biological-to-machine progression, or a pastoral
nostalgia-trip built by orthohuman escapees that hits the final acceleration
cascade of singularity formation even faster, probably just a few
years. Then it just follows the same pattern/cycle/progression again, over
and over and over, existential cowards running from their mind-children,
leaving the intelligence booms they fear as their footprints.