[ExI] Physics versus psychology

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri Oct 22 19:24:38 UTC 2010

BillK wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Richard Loosemore  wrote:
>> a)  There are probably a few hundred multi-million-dollar brain scanning
>> machines in use by psychologists, worldwide.
>>
>> b) Cognitive psychologists like myself will soon be needing (and within the
>> next ten years we will probably be *getting*) some seriously large
>> supercomputers.  In fact, I would not be surprised if you find that within
>> the next ten years the use of supercomputers by a new branch of the
>> psychology community starts to overtake all other uses (because this new
>> branch will be a hybrid of psychology and AI).
>>

> Brain scanning machines are used by neuroscientists.

Hnnh, I think you might want to get up to date on what cognitive
psychologists are actually doing, and pay a little less attention to
wikipedia.  :-)

The latest edition of one of the flagship textbooks of cognitive
psychology (Eysenck and Keane) is overflowing with brain scanning
references.  If you want research funding and career advancement these
days, you pretty much have to get yourself some fMRI data.

The boundaries between cognitive psychology and neuroscience are far
from clear, and cognitive psychologists are flocking to the borderland
as fast as they can.

Richard Loosemore