[ExI] Physics versus psychology

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 20:48:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Richard Loosemore  wrote:
> The boundaries between cognitive psychology and neuroscience are far from
> clear, and cognitive psychologists are flocking to the borderland as fast as
> they can.

OK. Discussing exactly what neuroscientists or AI researchers are
doing at present as opposed to a few years ago is not really relevant
to my original point.

The point is comparing the 'hard' sciences with the 'soft' sciences.
(Check Wikipedia for definitions)  ;)

psi is a 'soft' science. (Many people don't even accept it as a science at all).
psi is investigated by psychologists as well as others. psi research
does not involve billion dollar investments in technical machines. So
to researchers contemplating their future career, they will generally
not want to enter a field where there is little financial investment.

That was the point of my comment on Damien's remark.

(Of course I appreciate that psychology or psi research involves a bit
more than 'people chatting'. But it is a bit different from building
the Large Hadron Collider).

BillK