[ExI] Retired military officers come forward about UFO visitations

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Oct 23 21:17:17 UTC 2010

On 10/23/2010 3:53 PM, Henrique Moraes Machado wrote:

>> >  In a court setting, the personal testimony of these many men, due to
>> >  their excellent individual reputations&  military service as officers,
>> >  would win the case!

> Fair enough. But we're not in court and what these people are asking
> us to believe demands more than a mere testimony. You just made an
> argument of authority.

I don't think John did. It looks like an argument from (apparent or
purported) credibility. Authority, misused as an argument, seems to me
to connote power extraneous to the assertion. Credibility derives from
expertise, long experience, absence of duress, history of honesty, etc.

Whether such UFO testimonials by former military are credible on these
grounds remains uncertain. It's obviously not true that there is *no*
evidence brought forward; Col. Charles Halt (then deputy base commander
of Bentwaters RAF base) famously has a voice tape that he claims records
events in Rendlesham forest during a close apparent anomalous craft
sighting. Others have challenged that explanation of what he and his
team saw, but I don't think anyone is saying the tape was fraudulent (or
non-existent--it can be heard online, after all, so it clearly *exists*).

Damien Broderick