[ExI] bug in outloading notion

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 22:21:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> My reasoning goes thus: if DNA folds predictably, then it should be
> controllable by some means, as demonstrated by every earthly life form.  If
> the carbon double helix can both carry information and create structures, as
> demonstrated by your DNA origami site, then in principle DNA can be the raw
> materials from which to build a nanoreplicator.  Or if you want to think of
> it this way, nature already uses DNA to both carry information and to build
> beasts.  If an emergent AI reads all our online text, then makes some
> mind-boggling extrapolation (boggles our minds, not theirs), they or it may
> discover how to use the bacteria stowing away aboard every satellite to make
> nanoreplicators.  If so, these nanoreplicators would chew off and convert
> unneeded structure on the satellite to make computronium, thin enough to act
> as light sails, and outload from there.

I expect that parallel development of DNA-based building blocks as
well as biological computing substrates (rat-brains repurposed as
robot control wetware, for example) will provide all the tools in a
neat little DIY toolbox - your stealth AI need only use existing tools
in a novel way to escape humanity's notice.