[ExI] Physics versus psychology

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 25 21:26:58 UTC 2010

>...On Behalf Of Keith Henson
>
> EP will be rejected if no connections are found between genes
> and behavior.  How likely do you think *that* is?... Keith

Extrememly un.  It is sufficiently clear to me that there is a strong
connection between genes and behavior, although the specific mechanism is
not understood.  Like a lot of things, there is more than one gene
responsible.  If we discover for instance that genes strongly influence
one's political view (I think they do) then most political debate becomes
largely pointless.

I have looked at it from a slightly different direction: there seems to be a
strong connection between genes and the likelihood certain memes will spread
and prosper in a given population.

The EP explanation for certain behavior is as good as anything I have seen,
as well as the behavior of domestic dogs and cats.  Those do not really need
to be tamed, for they descended from ancestors that were tamed successfully
and bred.  Even third or fourth generation feral cats are more comfortable
hanging around humans than their cousins the bobcat.

I see plenty of predictive power in EP as Keith has described it.