[ExI] "Is the Universe a Big Hologram? This Device Could Find Out"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 06:27:52 UTC 2010

Is the Universe a Big Hologram? This Device Could Find Out
IAN O'NEILL - Astroengine.com

<http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/1025/Is-the-universe-a-big-hologram-This-device-could-find-out.>

During the hunt for the predicted ripples in space-time - known as
gravitational waves - physicists stumbled across a rather puzzling
phenomenon. Last year, I reported about the findings of scientists using
the GEO600 experiment in Germany. Although the hi-tech piece of kit
hadn’t turned up evidence for the gravitational waves it was seeking, it
did turn up a lot of noise.

Before we can understand what this 'noise” is, we need to understand how
equipment designed to look for the space-time ripples caused by
collisions between black holes and supernova explosions.

Gravitational wave detectors are incredibly sensitive to the tiniest
change in distance. For example, the GEO600 experiment can detect a
fluctuation of an atomic radius over a distance from the Earth to the
Sun. This is achieved by firing a laser down a 600 meter long tube where
it is split, reflected and directed into an interferometer. The
interferometer can detect the tiny phase shifts in the two beams of
light predicted to occur should a gravitational wave pass through our
local volume of space. This wave is theorized to slightly change the
distance between physical objects. Should GEO600 detect a phase change,
it could be indicative of a slight change in distance, thus the passage
of a gravitational wave.

While looking out for a gravitational wave signal, scientists at GEO600
noticed something bizarre. There was inexplicable static in the results
they were gathering. After canceling out all artificial sources of the
noise, they called in the help of Fermilab’s Craig Hogan to see if his
expertise of the quantum world help shed light on this anomalous noise.
His response was as baffling as it was mind-blowing. 'It looks like
GEO600 is being buffeted by the microscopic quantum convulsions of
space-time,” Hogan said.

Come again?

The signal being detected by GEO600 isn’t a noise source that’s been
overlooked, Hogan believes GEO600 is seeing quantum fluctuations in the
fabric of space-time itself. This is where things start to get a little
freaky.

According to Einstein’s view on the universe, space-time should be
smooth and continuous. However, this view may need to be modified as
space-time may be composed of quantum 'points” if Hogan’s theory is
correct. At its finest scale, we should be able to probe down the
'Planck length” which measures 10-35 meters. But the GEO600 experiment
detected noise at scales of less than 10-15 meters.

As it turns out, Hogan thinks that noise at these scales are caused by a
holographic projection from the horizon of our universe. A good analogy
is to think about how an image becomes more and more blurry or pixelated
the more you zoom in on it. The projection starts off at Planck scale
lengths at the Universe’s event horizon, but its projection becomes
blurry in our local space-time. This hypothesis comes out of black hole
research where the information that falls into a black hole is 'encoded”
in the black hole’s event horizon. For the holographic universe to hold
true, information must be encoded in the outermost reaches of the
Universe and it is projected into our 3 dimensional world.

But how can this hypothesis be tested? We need to boost the resolution
of a gravitational wave detector-type of kit. Enter the 'Holometer.”

Currently under construction in Fermilab, the Holometer (meaning
holographic interferometer) will delve deep into this quantum realm at
smaller scales than the GEO600 experiment. If Hogan’s idea is correct,
the Holometer should detect this quantum noise in the fabric of
space-time, throwing our whole perception of the Universe into a spin.