[ExI] Privacy vs the future

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Sep 7 20:48:36 UTC 2010

 On 9/7/10 4:52 AM, BillK wrote:
> On 9/7/10, samantha wrote:
>> Well, I would like to say that this sort of classist talk has no place
>>  in a free market or a free country.  But then I remember that we have
>>  neither.  But it is not the "rich" that are the enemy.  It is the
>>  government that produced the economic conditions we have now by
>>  expanding without limit, making credit really really cheap, and
>>  insisting banks make mortgages with people that could not afford them
>>  with government tacitly or implicitly guaranteeing them.   Yes there
>>  were various private parties that took advantage of the mess.  But they
>>  were not its creators.  Before they could buy favors their had to be a
>>  bloated government with runaway power to produce favors to sell.   If
>>  you want out of this mess do not play the old "soak the rich" theme
>>  while giving the true enemy of your well being , the government, even
>>  more power over even more of the economy.  If you want a viable economic
>>  future start demanding separation of government and economy.
>>

> I agree that the super-rich have taken over the US government and use
> it to increase their wealth and power.

You can't buy unwarranted power unless it is concentrated in a
questionable manner in the first place.  Remember that government makes
the laws and has a monopoly on force.  When it also involves itself in
various enterprises directly and attetmpts deep regulation of much of
the rest then it is certain that the corrupt and the power mongers
within and without government will flock to it.  Even honest business
people will have to play in order to perhaps not get hammered so badly
my such a concentration of near arbitrary power.

> But your hatred of government is leading you away from the real
> criminals.
You are mistaken.  Government of this size and kind fills itself with
and attracts  criminals.

>  They will use any means available, be it huge corporations,
> governments, state legislatures, whatever is convenient. You can't do
> big projects without big organisations and any of them might be taken
> over and misused. (As they have been).

If there is no power concentration like in modern government for the
simple reason that government is kept small and is only charged with
protecting rights and has no power over anything else at all and if the
one central definition of crime is initiation of force then and only
then will the power mongers have no place to go and no way to riches or
power except by actual production of more value than they consume.

> Your proposal of abolishing big government and reverting to local
> tribal councils is no way to run a modern nation and will cause even
> more problems.  Ever seen the morass of local politics?

Did I say anything about local tribal councils?  No, I don't think so.

>> BS.  That is not how it is today at all.  You know it. I know it.
>>  Freedom is not having half of all you earned taken away.   Freedom is
>>  not being threatened with prison or thrown into one for crimes that
>>  aren't crimes at all.
>>

> 'freedom' was in quotes because we only have an illusion of freedom
> provided by the super-rich to keep us quiet while the nation is robbed
> blind. Try and break the illusion and you'll be in trouble.

After you wipe out the "super rich" you will find out I am afraid just
how horribly wrong you are about the cause of so much wrong in the world
today.

- s