[ExI] outloading, was: stealth singularity

Joseph Bloch seculartranshumanist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 01:12:06 UTC 2010

Isn't the term "stealth singularity" something of an oxymoron?

I always thought of a singularity as an event of species-shaking
significance, beyond which by definition it was impossible to predict
future events (hence the term, which evokes the event horizon of a
black hole). It seems to me that the sort of AI you're talking about
here would, by virtue of its very difficulty to detect, fail that
test. After all, human history would continue without deflection,
should an AI develop and end up doing nothing that impacts humanity.

Too, it seems like it buys into the whole "AI = singularity" thing,
which seems to me more than a little off. Just as there are scenarios
which would result in a singularity that do not involve AI, so too are
there scenarios that involve the development of AI that do not result
in a singularity.

Joseph
http://www.transhumanismtoday.com