[ExI] A suicide note

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Sep 26 01:24:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, ablainey at aol.com wrote:

>  Quite astounding and very shocking.

> Not so long ago I said the most truly altruistic thing any person can do
> is commit suicide. In the cold harsh light of seeing this post, my
> statement sits heavy in my heart.

Nah, he was adult person. He made a decision.

However, I don't subscribe to your idea, assuming it is relevant to say
this. I recognized some time ago that a total giveup could be a cause of
suicide. But to reach this point requires a lot of trying (and failing
every time), so from what I have seen in my fellow humans this idea does
not apply to so called common folk (which is, on average, good enough to
have some life).

Since there is a lot of sh*t in this world, I think staying alive and
trying to clean some would be more altruistic (in effect, one could even
get shot or die from wounds, so the final goal could still be
acomplished in this way).

>  Although I still stand by it, the reality of a person taking their own
> life is always shocking, saddening and leaves me cold. I hope I don't
> find my own words in his note; perhaps he came to the same conclusion?

His choice, whatever he based it on. Unless you hypnotyzed him, in which
case shame on you.

> My fear is that others will imitate this tragic event.

The fact that he didn't take anybody with him is the reason to give him
highest grade for this act. It makes me suspecting that he was actually
benevolent and not just another nut. It even made me somewhat interested
in his last book, really. Very good PR move. I know it sounds cynical to
some readers, but the guy's attitude is excellent. I mean, you want to get
out of this plane - well, you can, just don't force anybody else to go
with you. This part is complicated, since our actions have uncomputable
effects on other people's lifes.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola