[ExI] Binary proof of evolution

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 19:42:17 UTC 2010

2010/9/26  <ablainey at aol.com>:
> Very true and I originally thought of adding a survival or fitness element
> to the test, but if people cannot understand evolution anyway when it's
> explained to them; They won't understand the experiment. So that is the
> reason for a single work of the Bard and totally random and non manipulated
> input. I am thinking in terms of a number crunching exercise rather than a
> model.

This isn't evolution.  It would be more illustrative of the "spark" of
creation that takes uncorrelated events in the void and suddenly
(seemingly magically) produces life as we observe it.

Genetic algorithms better approximate evolution.  If your fitness
function is measured by proximity to Shakespeare, I suspect it
wouldn't take 20k years to get a phenotype that consistently outputs
the exact bytestream you are looking for.

So wait, what were you trying to prove?