[ExI] san jose tech museum's take on the singularity

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 02:29:22 UTC 2010

Breaking the Law

Progress has limits; electricity can't go
faster than the speed of light, for example.
Moore predicts that digital innovations
will soon slow.  Others, however, foresee a
*singularity*, when rapid technological shifts
make the world unpredictable.

I'd say that rapid technological shifts are already making the world
unpredictable. In a post-singularity world technology might not longer be in
our hands, and therefore out of our control entirely.  But it seems the
statement, as vapid as it is, is logically consistent. Out of our control
would make it unpredictable. Though it seems a little understated to me. Of
course, I didn't get the concept at first (and probably still don't fully
grasp it.) Maybe it was written for liberal arts majors like me?

Speaking of that, thanks to feeling like a scientific kindergarten student
here I've registered for physics, math and chemistry classes at a local
university. Thanks for that. I'll likely be cursing you all come mid-terms

Darren