[ExI] pale diet again: RE: It's not only the fittest who survive.

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 12:35:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com>wrote:

> This is my problem with the Paleo diet.  The archeology does not fit a
> high-fat diet.  Everything I read shows that hunter/gatherers got more
> of their diet from gathering than hunting.

I'd be curious to know what evidence there is for that assertion.

> Big game meat was not a daily occurrence.

Big game is not the only source of meat. There's small games, fish, and
insects, too.

And even when big game was bagged, it was not
> high-fat as seen in today's deliberately fattened meats.

Most primal/paleo eaters prefer pasture-raised and finished meat for that
reason and because of the better balance of omega 3's and omega 6's.

I also doubt the lack of grains in the diet.  Archeological evidence
> shows that grains were routinely gathered and used in paleo times.  Just
> because agriculture did not domesticate grains until later does not mean
> they were lacking in the paleo diet.

There's evidence of pre-agricultural grain consumption but it's pretty thin.
However, a diet that includes occasional *wild* grains would have to qualify
as primal/paleo, in my book.

-Dave