[ExI] kurzweil movie

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 15:48:42 UTC 2011

2011/4/15 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> Kurzweil’s movie Transcendent Man was shown at a premier last night at the
> SF Palace of Fine Arts.  I liked it!  Some minor complaints, but overall I
> would rate it very good to low end of the excellent range, certainly worth
> my time.  I saw a lot of familiar faces in the movie from years of hanging
> out with that crowd.  One scene, Kurzweil is conversing with William
> Shatner.  In the background of that scene was a person looking the other way
> whose hair looked like Max More’s.

I also loved the movie and give it 5 stars! I have been a RK fan for
many years, since way before he wrote the Age of Intelligent
Machines... (I read his technical papers on character recognition back
in 1985 or so.)

The think that was most disappointing to me, and it could have been
just how the movie was edited, was just how deeply tragic the death of
his father was portrayed. It leaves Ray coming across as a kind of
"poor me" because his father died early. Almost to the point of being
kind of mental over the issue. If that is an accurate portrayal of his
personality, that's kind of an odd driving force. If it's not
accurate... why show it that way?

Whatever drives him, I really like what he's doing and what he's done.
I wish they had spent more time with Stevie Wonder, and the
synthesizer stuff, although it admittedly would have detracted from
the main theme a bit. Good stuff.

-Kelly