[ExI] World's biggest human brain map unveiled

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Apr 20 21:11:15 UTC 2011

Richard Loosemore wrote:
> John Grigg wrote:
>> This is perhaps a baby step toward uploading...
>>
>> http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/04/worlds-first-human-brain-map-u.html
>>

> My only problem with this is that it is only really a kind of map ....
> as far as I can make out it tells a lot about gene expression, but not
> about connectivity, and unfortunately the gene expression story is
> several steps removed from telling me anything about functionality.

The real use is for figuring out chemical and developmental modularity,
which we can then use for drug or nanoparticle targeting. The real fun
starts when we have this, the connectome and some close-up studies of
how different expression patterns correlate with neuron types.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute