[ExI] World's biggest human brain map unveiled

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Apr 20 22:56:19 UTC 2011

Quoting Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se>:

> Richard Loosemore wrote:
>> John Grigg wrote:
>>> This is perhaps a baby step toward uploading...
>>> http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/04/worlds-first-human-brain-map-u.html
>>
>> My only problem with this is that it is only really a kind of map
>> .... as far as I can make out it tells a lot about gene expression,
>>  but not about connectivity, and unfortunately the gene expression
>> story is several steps removed from telling me anything about
>> functionality.
>
> The real use is for figuring out chemical and developmental modularity,
> which we can then use for drug or nanoparticle targeting. The real fun
> starts when we have this, the connectome and some close-up studies of
> how different expression patterns correlate with neuron types.

What is the "leading edge technology" that was used to create this
computerized brain map?  Does this mean that the combination of MRI,
DTI, microarry and ISH, form this leading edge technology?

But then it says it this is a "gene map" and that RNA was obtained
through slicing and dicing.

Are there two projects here?