[ExI] PaleoCRON?

Jones Murphy morphy at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 27 09:24:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> In case of life-shortening diseases for which CR is a therapy you can
> of course push it it farther. Or ordinary healthy people capable
> of hitting 80+ years on autopilot CR offers only marginal cruise
> assist.

Ordinary healthy people are hitting 80+ years right now, while we can
see that by addressing the big 3 killers, we could boost that on
average to something north of 100 years. This will not be marginal
when you hit 80. Just as important are the quality of those additional
years. CR'd animals well past their pre-CR life expectancy are much
more vigorous than ad-libbed animals in old age.

> The actual problem is that almost no one has the self-discipline
> to make it happen. I cannot see me add more than 5-10 years to my
> natural span without running into a serious asceticism control wall.
> Giving up alcohol for good instead of just rationing it? A cold
> day in hell.

You will see people discover more and more reserves of self-discipline
they never knew they had as the results continue to come in on CR, I
expect. And CR does not involve giving up alcohol.