[ExI] Efficiency of algorithmic trading

Mr Jones mrjones2020 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:59:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Jones Murphy <morphy at alumni.caltech.edu>wrote:

> The idea that the budget deficit is some great and insoluble problem
> is nonsense. Raising taxes on the wealthiest back to what they were
> during the peak of America's economic growth and upward mobility would
> easily cure the deficit by itself.

Hell, I'd settle for Clinton-era tax levels.  But sure.  Absolutely.

> More modest tax increases coupled
> with slashing the insane military budget to some small sane multiple
> of the next biggest(currently China's) would also take care of the
> budget deficit and pay down the national debt very quickly.

Again, you've got my vote.  This is exactly what I've been prescribing.

> The
> illusion of a budget deficit and national debt is created sustained by
> the lowest federal taxes in 80 years, since the low  low taxes leading
> into the Great Crash.

Not to mention all the ridiculous games Corp. have been allowed to play.

> The idea that CEO's today are working so much harder(at 400plus times
> average worker pay) than CEO's when Reagan took power(40 times average
> worker pay) is false.

I don't care who you are, or what you've done; There isn't a man/woman
walking this planet who's worthy of 100's of MILLIONS, while there's
BILLIONS who exist on less than a dollar a day.

> CEO's are not working ten times harder now than
> 30 years ago. This is rank hierarchism again, and a false claim of
> meritocracy where it does not exist. I know. I'm a CEO of a small
> hedge fund, and in my own career have worked with and done business
> with a lot of CEO's of very big financial companies whose names you'd
> instantly recognize. Many are very talented, and many are not talented
> in any business sense but are great "survivor" contestants good at
> scheming and backstabbing their way to the top.

Many no doubt riding on the coat tails of something great dad/grand-dad did
decades ago.

> Virtually none of them
> are worth 400 times what average workers are making. I wouldn't pay
> it, as a shareholder or director. It's just too easy to find talented
> people to replace them at a much lower price than these absurd
> multiples.

Mix things up.  Counter all the entrenchment rotting the system.  This goes
for govt. too.

> And in fact that's what is happening in most of the world.
> The US is a striking exception, and this cannot last without severe
> negative consequences.

I couldn't agree with you more.  We're about to get our asses handed to us.