[ExI] Robert Ettinger's obituary in NYT

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue Aug 2 16:19:01 UTC 2011

Bill K wrote:

>That's not the way public 'news' type organisations work.
>
>If they did say why cryonics might be prudent, then for the sake of
>so-called 'balanced' reporting, they would also have to give equal
>column inches (or time) to explaining why cryonics is NOT a good idea.
>
>They even do that with things like evolution or exploring space or
>regulating giant banks.

It seems to me that in the *obituary* of a not-evil major figure in
a field, it's appropriate to discuss why *that person* thought
it was a prudent endeavor. Without any column-inches devoted
to counterpoint.

For a notable whose grave will be pissed on, they should also
present another viewpoint.

-- David.