[ExI] Captchas

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Aug 13 17:46:49 UTC 2011

On 8/13/2011 12:23 PM, Mike Dougherty wrote:

>  considering even the text-only communication of this
> list we might assume the written word should take precedence over the
> unique flapping of meat that is regional pronunciation of words.  In
> that case, the difference between effect/affect should be treated as
> significantly as feet/feat or less/lass  (both are one letter changes
> e-to-a,

Does the ever-more-frequently-seen confusion of "then" for "than"
reflect vocal usage? I've never *heard* anyone say "I'd rather have X
then Y" unless they meant X followed by Y, but maybe for some it's a
schwa phoneme leading to the kind of error that causes USians to type
"do" when they mean "due." (Neither are homophonic to an Aussie, which
is a cause of further confusion.)

But I note with mild interest that Jon K Klerc does not insist on his
manly spark-plug- pissing right to substitute "affact" or "effact" or
"eefact" in his quest to obliterate pointless lexical distinctions.

Damien Broderick