[ExI] Neither unique facts nor lies

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Mon Aug 15 16:26:40 UTC 2011

I'd like a range of opinions about words and others you think
belong in the same set.

To me, a fact is true. If it's not true, it's not a fact.

On the other hand,  it is often used in practice, to refer to
something that is alleged or supposed.

To me, a lie requires intent. If you thought what you said was
true, it isn't a lie.

On the other hand, I often hear people, on realizing that something
they'd said wasn't true, say "Oops. I lied."

I took neither... nor... to be valid only for binary choices. For more
than two, it's "not A or B or..." But I've been convinced by
historical example that I was wrong.

Unique is also considered binary, and "very unique" or "more
unique" is mocked. I have no problem with treating unique as
a fuzzy value. That is, instead of either 0 (false) or 1 (true), it
can have any value from 0 to 1, inclusive.

Pregnant is similar. A woman with a fertilized egg is no less
pregnant, technically, than someone who's nine or ten months
along or carrying triplets, but it seems appropriate to refer
to the latter as "very pregnant."

Given the sequence (A, B, C), if I refer to the former, do I
mean (A) or (A B), and does the latter mean (B C) or just (C)?

-- David.