[ExI] Do we live in a universe that allows infinite computation?

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 18 13:50:39 UTC 2011

On Aug 17,  "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

    > "Pretty thin hope for immortality and infinite personal vistas if you
    ask me."

Thin yes, but perhaps not infinitely thin.

On Wed, 8/17/11, Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote
"I agree, Samantha.  What I find even more troubling with the concept is that it can't be theorized without severely reconsidering the notion of self.  Not only would "you" exist, but every you you have ever been, and every you any arbitrary amount of youness units (younits?) away from you.  There would be a me and a me that was almost me and a me that was half me and half you, in fact the entire continuum's worth of half me half you and another layer of that for every individual and every individual who never existed and every type of thinking computer formed so differently from the human brain...quite literally 'mind boggling'."

Troubling? I don't find it so but that is a matter of taste. Mind boggling? Yes certainly, that would boggle any mind. True? Maybe.

 John K Clark