[ExI] fun essay by penn jillette

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Aug 19 19:40:34 UTC 2011

On 08/19/2011 08:11 AM, spike wrote:

> *On Behalf Of *John Grigg
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] fun essay by penn jillette
>
> >...Spike, have you seen his "Bullshit" television program?
>
> John
>
> No.  I have insufficient patience for television now.  Not enough
> controls on it.  All  TV shows need a scroll bar along the bottom for
> instance, to make them analogous to YouTubes.  Since television
> generally doesn't have that, I discontinued my cable service about
> three years ago.  My TV is now a DVD player only.

Record it or get it on Hulu or Amazon or Apple TV and scroll to your
heart's content.  What TV I watch I almost never watch in real time.
For some of the services you lose the commercials too.

> Recently when visiting Shelly's parents, Isaac was puzzling over their
> television, which he had never really seen.  He figured out the remote
> can change the channel, but soon realized that there are only about 50
> channels, none of which carried anything that particularly interested
> him, nor that he could control directly.  He lost interest after a few
> minutes and went back to his internet enabled computer.

I heard a cute apocryphal story of a 3 year old messing around behind
the TV.  When his parents asked him what he was doing he said "I'm
looking for the mouse."  :)

- samantha