[ExI] fun essay by penn jillette

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 22:30:47 UTC 2011

2011/8/22 Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>:
> I think you overestimate the post y2k generation's desire for being able to
> control the story line. A great story doesn't require the listener's ability
> to influence it. Hamlet, for example, wouldn't be improved by having a
> handful of alternative endings that the reader/participant could select.
> It's not even necessarily improved by being rendered as a play or movie vs.
> being read. And games aren't automatically more entertaining than stories.
> I never took up with radio dramas because the medium was dead, having been
> supplanted by TV.

One of the richest experiences I've ever had was listening to the
entire Gunsmoke series of radio dramas. I did this about four years
ago. The quality of story telling was so far superior to that of
today's television was stark. It's one of the few things I've ever
paid for on the Internet. I'm so glad I did.

-Kelly