[ExI] Ebooks Formats and ebook readers

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Fri Dec 9 20:05:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011, F. C. Moulton wrote:

> A couple of things to remember about Ebook formats and Ebook readers
> 1. Some are tied to various degrees to particular vendors
> 2. Some can only read a limited number of formats
> 3. Many ebooks have DRM which in my opinion is a very bad thing
> 4. There are ways to get rid of DRM (google for the answer)
> 5. There are programs such as calibre which formats such as pdf to epub
>
> Points 1 and 2 are why I did not buy a Kindle (there are also other
> reasons).

Yes. And a prospect of my legally bought device being examined by some
third party, without asking me for permission, is, at least for me,
totally unappealing.

It is assumed that only a producer will be able to do this, but I think
soon there will be stories of mobsters and psycos playing their tricks in
this shadow area, too.

If buying a kindle makes me a potential criminal, like a recidivist who
needs to be watched over by his curator, then I would rather not buy it
and stay in my clean, uncriminalised state.

Of course, majority will vote with their money. It's going to be
fashionable, this e-book thing. Very green and cool, etc. I perceive it as
strange behaviour, but certainly not the first time when people screw
themselves to get some more popularity in their circles (anybody here
remembers cigarettes?).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola